Wednesday, December 10, 2014

Step One: I admit that I am powerless over __________(autism, mental illness, etc.) and that my life has become unmanageable.

This is one of my favorite steps.  It is key to finding peace of mind.  It encourages a mind-set that relieves me of a lot of unnecessary stress.  Step One reminds me that "I am not in charge."  I am an "actor" in this "show" called life.  I am not the Director.  I don't get to decide the story line.  I don't get to tell the other actors (my family members/friends) how they are supposed to "act".  That is not my job. 

When I try to control the "show" and change the story line, my life is super unmanageable.  I don't know why I have 2 sons with autism and one daughter with mental illness.  I may never have the answer to that question.  And that is "OK".  Because I am not in charge.  I don't get to decide nor am I responsible for what life hands me.  I am only responsible for how I deal with what life hands me.  The 12 Step Program helps me to learn new ways of coping with life's challenges.  It helps me to change the things I can and to live in peace with what I cannot. 

God grant me the serenity;
to accept the things I cannot change;
courage to change the things I can;
and the wisdom to know the difference.

[The Serenity Prayer, by Reinhold Niebuhr]

No comments:

Post a Comment